top of page
  • queerincanton

Driver’s License/ State ID Gender + Name Change

To change the gender marker on your Driver's License or State Id in Ohio you must,

  1. Submit a “Declaration of Gender Change” form to the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles and Ohio Department of Public Safety.

    1. The form will ask for your contact information, birth date, current Ohio Driver’s license or State ID number, and authorization of the release of necessary medical information from a licensed physician or psychologist to the Ohio BMV.

  2. Get the form signed by a licensed medical professional, explaining you are in the process of transition or your transition is complete (in line with the World Professional Association for Transgender Health Standards of Care).

    1. This can be from either a physician or psychologist, make sure they include their medical license or certificate number on the form. They also need to include their professional opinion about your "birth gender" and gender identity.

  3. Mail or fax the completed form to: the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Attn: License Control, P.O. Box 16784, Columbus, Ohio 43216, Fax: 1-614-752-7987

  4. You should receive written notification of the change in 7-10 business days. Take the written notification to your local BMV to get a new ID.

*Be aware you can only change your gender marker 1 time.

To change the name on your Driver's License or State Id, follow these steps:

  1. Present the following documents to your local BMV:

    1. Social Security Card/Number (does not have to have the name you're changing your ID to)

    2. Current State Issued ID (if expired, use your birth certificate and legal name change order)

OH-Declaration of Gender Change.doc
Download PDF • 68KB
Physician Letter 2018
Download DOCX • 20KB

161 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page